PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Trails vs Coast to Coast

kimusic
02-17-2007, 08:53 PM
What's the difference between Thousand Trails and Coast to Coast?

dkr9925
02-22-2007, 06:51 PM
TT is a membership that has a limmited amount of park in the USA that you can use, C to C Is a add on that can be purchased with your TT which will tripple the amount of parks available to use. but buyier beware. read all the fine print rules and regulations.
I personally dont like C to C because I had it in the year 1984 left a very bitter taste in my mouth and wallet.
But there are others that love it.

hunter03872
02-23-2007, 07:29 AM
I use Pass Port America and never had a problem with it. $44 a year one weekend using it will pay for the due's

pace1990
02-23-2007, 03:11 PM
I have been member of Thousand Trails, NACO, and Leisure Time Resorts sence 97 and have no complants. I also am a member of RPI, ROD, and the Elks Clubs Which hakes traveling very nice and low cost. Another fun way to rv is beening a host at a Oregon State Park.

billadams
02-26-2007, 06:32 PM
If you don't mind going to the same parks over and over again, staying for a couple of weeks and then moving on to the next one I suppose that a membership campground would make sense. If you want to travel where you want to travel (not just where a TT is) then you are better of with something like Passport America. You won't always get a discount but you will find one often enough to pay for the membership many times over.

disup
02-27-2007, 08:43 AM
If you travel enough to justify the initiation and annual fee TT is worth the cost. Do the math to determine your cost per campsite stay. We like TT and have our cost per stay down to under 10 per night. The c-grounds are as a rule in good shape. C-C and Passport are great for transient travellers.

horsefolk
03-01-2007, 01:08 AM
Didnt care for Coast to Coast, TT ok but limited. very good luck with Passport America!

53flyingcloud
03-01-2007, 07:48 AM
I've been a c-c member for abt 8 yrs now. The one thing you have to remember is that: You must be a "paid-up" owner member of a qualified park that is affiliated with the c-c system. From that starting point, you are allowed to stay for up to two weeks(twice a year max) at another c-c park which must be located over 125 miles from your home port. Be careful here, because if you just stay for a weekend, that counts as one of the two allowed stays for the year. (HINT:Each private park is run differently.)
As for cost. At your home port, your cost may vary according to local expenses. Generally, you pay an annual fees and then, your good to go. C-C is an annual membership plus points system which you buy ahead of your planned trip. Usually, a point cost is around 8$ and, you want to buy enough for your travel. These are bought on the website from c-c and then entered into your account. You then redeem these points (one per night) to pay your parking fees at each of the park within the c-c system.

leeman
03-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I belong to Thousand Trails as a Platnium membership, so use Thousand Trails and NACO as destination resorts sometimes, but use Coast to Coast, ROD, Passport America, and Resort Parks International as overnight stops enroute if there is one close by. Some of the RPI and C2C parks require that you pay for two nights, especially on weekends, so those are downers for me.
My C2C home resort was blown away during Hurricane Katrina on the Mississippi Gulfcoast, so have not been able to use it as a destination resort until it is rebuilt.
Happy Trails!
Leeman

donbar
03-01-2007, 07:58 PM
We are TT members and at one time coast to coast which we let go. We found with TT with RPI and ROD we have always been able to find a spot to plant our wheels.

cso4269
03-05-2007, 07:03 AM
We have a Coast To Coast home park is Silent Valley, CA.
It no longer works for us and we are having trouble getting out of
the membership. There is a transfer fee of 500.00 but we can't
even give it away.

pegcam
03-05-2007, 02:24 PM
We belong to TT as well as ROD, RPI and Passport America. We stay at TT when we can but use the others often. One nice thing about TT. Its free if you are paid up member. We can stay 21 days and go on to the next TT for 21. We have found them to be great. We have friends that are now looking to find a membership for sale if anyone knows of one let us know.

casitabob
03-08-2007, 06:27 PM
My favorites are RPI, Passport America, Good Sam, and KOA memberships. With these we can always find campgrounds near our destinations. RPI campgrounds usually cost $8.00 a Night, PA is half the normal rate for at least one night and often for the entire stay depending on available space.
Good Sam and KOA are 10% discounts, but they cover almost anywhere you can travel.

casitabob
03-08-2007, 06:32 PM
My favorites are RPI, Passport America, Good Sam, and KOA memberships. With these we can always find campgrounds near our destinations. RPI campgrounds usually cost $8.00 a Night, PA is half the normal rate for at least one night and often for the entire stay depending on available space.
Good Sam and KOA are 10% discounts, but they cover almost anywhere you can travel. I was an AOR member but found nearly all AOR sites are also covered by RPI, so I'm dropping it and am going to give the new Coast to Coast a try for 1 year.

In case you are new to the game: RPI is Resort Parks International and AOR is Adventure Outdoor Resorts.

sbryan
03-30-2007, 07:11 PM
We have a membership at Mountain Lakes in Lytle Creek CA they dumped CC and joined ROD I like ROD a lot better when traveling

mrsgeek
04-08-2007, 12:39 AM
We are relatively new (since July 06) TT members. Although the initial membership is pricey, it's hard to describe just how nice it is to have a place to stay that doesn't require *any* money each night. Our memberships also includes ROD at $0/night. I think of it like 'prepaying' for our sites. As a fulltimer, we make good use of our membership. A big bonus is that the campgrounds are wonderful. It makes me feel like I have a home that I really like - not at one 'lot', but at lots of places all over the country.

I'll still never give up my Passport America membership. It's a great savings for those times when you're not at 'home'. :-)
Chris
www.jimandchris.com

ddmdre
04-14-2007, 06:48 PM
we are very new fulltimers and will be on a tight budget as both my husband and I are disabled and on ssi we do have some money now but not much so we are trying to be careful how much we spend getting started we have memberships to passport am and are escapee members now. I am not sure if getting into a membership like c2c is good for us or not It seems to me if you can find or take over a membership that does not cost too much to get in to and the annual fees are not too much it would be a great budget help for us we want to travel and see things we do not want to be stuck in just one place. with c2c is it 2 times per campground or to times for all their campgrounds any advice ???

rn57jr
04-22-2007, 06:17 PM
We are not crazy about C2C but still save $'s in some areas as Maine to stay with it. Alsw are relatively new members of Outdoor World again for travel to New England. Camping fees there are quite high. I urge you to look into a Golden Age or Handicapped Pass to the National Parks which also gives you 1/2 price camping at the Army Corps of Engineers and National Forest CGs as well as LA St . Parks. The CoE Parks are lovely. Safe Travels!

carol43
05-16-2007, 04:51 PM
We've been TT members since 97. Never once have we been asked to join CC. Do have ROD. RPI seems to have a couple of prices to join. Passport America is a great buy.
So many plans now, it's very confusing.

Carol

shadowmac
06-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I have read all these posts on memberships and it appears many people have different goals or ideas on what there camping is all about.

Some are weekend/occasional even vacation campers and others seem to be the live on the road, constantly going three weeks of the month type camping (or much more).

So the point I am getting to is I believe a different membership is ideal for each but I don't think there is an overall best answer that works for both.

My father has just retired from GM and purchased himself a beautiful 5th wheel RV trailer and plans on traveling across country with the occasional come home and check on us kids. He is a single man 62 year old man that is trying to find his role in life today and I am researching what is the best membership for him to join that has activities and possibly a focus on singles in the rv camping world. I haven't found too much so far....
http://www.lonersonwheels.com/
http://singlecampers.com/

Any suggestions???

By the way I did belong to c2c also but it was a bit expensive for the weekend, occasional, vacation camper like myself. It's focus is more the cross country camper. Instead I belong to Outdoor Adventures which has a lot of parks in Michigan that are free for myself and my family to camp at that have a lot to do and very family oriented. We love them!

elainefaith
06-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Do you have a website for outdoor adventures? Always looking for something new. Is it only available in Michigan? Thanks and good luck to your dad. The two you mentioned are the only ones i know, but i'm a newbie here too.

tcwal
06-26-2007, 06:15 AM
Shadowmac,

Checkout the Escapees RV Club at www.Escapees.com. It is an organization of mostly fulltime Rvers. There are a lot of singles that are members and they have an affiliate group (they call them BOF's birds of a feather) for singles. They also have BOF's that help the Red Cross respond to disasters or assist Habitat for Humanity with build projects.

There are so many different memberships out there that you really need to consider what meets your needs best. Memberships that require you to have a home park may be good for some not others. Likewise, lifetime or multi-year memberships may work well for some and not for others as health or other issues can change your circumstances.

The discount clubs (Passport America, Happy Camper, Camp Club USA (Campers World), Good Sam, Escapees, KOA) are all $60.00 a year or less and provide a discount of 10-50%. Depending on where you are going to travel, one club may have more member parks than another in that area. Each club's website will give you an idea of where their member parks are. Be sure to check for additions and deletions as parks drop out and new ones join.

Many parks give discounts to more than one of the clubs with the discount varying depending on which membership you have. Each park can set its own rules, to some extent, placing restrictions on how many or few days and time of year the discount applies.

If you get a 50% discount on a $25/night site, you will have saved over $60 after 5 nights. Over the years; I have belonged to Good Sam, Escapees, Happy Camper, Passport America and KOA. All have paid for the cost of membership, saved more with some than others.

Your Dad is elligible (age 62) for the Federal Golden Access Pass which costs $10.00 and is good for life. This pass will get him into any National Park, Wildlife Refuge, National Forest, Bureau of Land Management Recreation Area or Corps of Engineers Park that charges an entrance fee for free. It will also give him a discount on camping fees in many federally operated campgrounds.

Hope he enjoys his retirement!!!

rich1
06-30-2007, 01:01 AM
You might check out Western Horizon resorts They are a growing co and we have had a membership since 92 at that time they had 2 campgrounds, last I heard they now have 23 and you can get into AOR & ROD with them they have now dropped C/C but we will prob always have PPA

kamp19
07-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Many things have changed since 1984. You cannot get Coast to Coast with TT anymore-it has been years. The pain you have in your wallet was from the price you paid for the home park. Coast to Coast is only $89.95 (probably $49.95 23 years ago) per year once you have a home park.

Thanks,

Dan

berger
07-30-2007, 07:06 PM
We have been thousand trails Platinum members for 10 years and love it! It's always clean and close to major vacation spots. In addition I think they just acquired Outdoor World so more places to go to.:)

sbryan
01-14-2008, 04:10 PM
I love ROD never had a problem making reservations and my home park pays the dues Parks are always clean and staff are always helpful:) :)

papahog
02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
This is all so confusing. :confused: I travel all the time, coast to coast, I am a Good Sam, AAA, AARP, Camping World. I stop where and when I want. I guess I just dont understand the need of a membership other than I have already.

elainefaith
02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
papahog, i agree, did buy passport america and campclub usa because they were cheap. used them enough to pay for membership + some. Perhaps above have big rigs, hard to get into and out of most campgrounds, and when they get there they stay a few weeks or months. Maybe then the investment would pay for itself. Don't really know much about all this, home park, all that, because it really doesn't apply to me. I still have my home and probably will not ever be a full timer.

papahog
02-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I am a full timer. My home base is in Oregon because that is where my Son and his family live. I have been on the road this time since April with only once being back in Oregon for a month. Left again in September and am on the east coast.

My plans to travel back across the us I40 and up through Utah and into Oregon the end of April. I will camp around the NW some during the early summer and leave again for the east coast across the northern states in July.

Still don't see how campground memberships could help me. I move every few days.

Maybe they won't help me. I need to look into this a little more.

Freedom was never so free as it is for me now.

elainefaith
02-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Hey papa, i used passport america and campclub usa. both cost about 50 dollars and i got my membership back after a few uses. There is a thousand trails in Wauchula, Fl. They are forever offering me a free stay. My cousin lives there so we went for a visit. It was very nice, but so crowded and the big motor homes are soooo close together. I suppose if you're staying there just to escape from the freezing north for a few months, it's ok. But i live in the Fl Keys and only travel in the summer, so i don't need anything like that.

harrybev
02-16-2008, 08:18 PM
For members in good standing, TT/NACO has an "Out Of System" rule that, generally, makes you stay outside the TTN reservation system for either: the quantity of days you last stayed in a TTN park, or a maximum of 14 days spent outside a TTN park before you are allowed to book another TTN reservation. Their reservation system will, allegedly, also allow you to stay up to four nights in any TTN park and immediately reserve into another (nearby) park as early as the next night. A through-traveler may use this to hop his/her way up/down the east/west/gulf coasts while traveling. TTN, however, has only six parks on/near the east coast NJ-FLA (plus two more in FLA) and none, along the Gulf Coast, between Florida and Texas. Texas northwestward to Washington state has many "hoppable" TTN and LT parks. This cost-free camping can quickly defray even a $500 annual maintenance fee, after buying into the TT system, which allegedly can cost anywhere between $1,500 and $15,000. My personal TTN usage costs this last year were below $10 nightly, which just tickles me silly, due to my Scottish heritage. Good Luck and enjoy the fraternity of camperhood.:D

kamp19
02-17-2008, 02:56 AM
Coast to Coast was $59.95 per year in 1984. How could that have left a bitter taste in your mouth at $1.00 per night???????????? You must be talking about the home park you got lured into.

Dan

kamp19
02-17-2008, 03:00 AM
There are lots of TT/NACO memberships out there. Most are 14 nights in and seven nights out of the system. I have some that are 21 nights in one Preserve and 21 nights in the next Preserve with NO nightly fee or out time. You can call me at 1-877-284-3944 for details-Thanks, Dan

noreaster
03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Hey papa, i used passport america and campclub usa. both cost about 50 dollars and i got my membership back after a few uses. There is a thousand trails in Wauchula, Fl. They are forever offering me a free stay. My cousin lives there so we went for a visit. It was very nice, but so crowded and the big motor homes are soooo close together. I suppose if you're staying there just to escape from the freezing north for a few months, it's ok. But i live in the Fl Keys and only travel in the summer, so i don't need anything like that.
Elainefaith..The 'quick look' at Peace River Preserve may lead one to think the sites are crowded but you need to look at the "E"."F","G", "H" Sections where there are several wide sites, with few trees, to get Satellite TV and have room to stretch.
I agree, the A,B,C sections are tight but over all Peace River is a hidden gem.
Don't tell anybody about that place. It might get crowded! ;)