PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Rambler Owners

wedfan
06-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey is there any Holiday Rambler Owners out there?
Want to compare notes?
What to talk about any issues - Pros & Cons?
I'm an owner of a 2004 HR Ambassador Quad-Slide... Love the unit, the only complaint I've had thus far is the basement storage, the year after we purchased ours, they came out with the doors thzat open sideways... Isn't it always the way...

navydad89
06-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Want to compare notes?

I'm an owner of a 2004 HR Ambassador Quad-Slide... Love the unit, the only complaint I've had thus far is the basement storage, the year after we purchased ours, they came out with the doors thzat open sideways... Isn't it always the way...

Welcome to the forum wedfan!!

We also own a Holiday Rambler (99 37' Endeavor) and would be willing to swap with you if you're really all that unhappy.... LOL. I know that won't happen since our single slide also has the lift open compartment doors too, but keep us in mind if you do happen to relent :-)

The only complaint I have had is the fact that our unit has a hide-a-bed couch with a J-lounge opposite that on the curb side. I have wanted a recliner replacement and DW suggested we start looking around today. The first stop we found the perfect black leather euro-recliner and foot stool, when we got back to the campground and talked about the new chair with neighbors, they asked to buy the J-lounge and said they would remove it too. I should have gone to the river boat or played the lottery today!!!!!

We purchased our unit a little over 2 years ago and (knock on wood) have had absolutely no problems with it thus far. Considering we're full timing in it now, I am quite happy with the brand. Have you looked at joining a local chapter of HRRVC? We got a lot of information from chapter members as well as through the Pushers Chapter when we were members of that group.

ednshon
07-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi Webfan, We have a 2006 Holiday Ambassador. We got it last year and have tried to go somewhere every month since. We finally went on a two week trip from Carlsbad, CA to Nashville, TN to Mission, TX and back. I didn't have any mechanical problems. The only thing that happened was the SaniCon unit got jammed and I had to take the cover off the unit and turn the blade manually until it started on again.

We found only a couple of issues. On some roads the coach sounds like it is going to shake to pieces, but on smoother roads there is hardly a rattle. The other issue is the shower. The bracket holding the shower hose broke. I'm thinking about replacing the hose with a pipe or tube on which I can put a fixed shower head. I don't know if anything like this is available or not.
Take care and we look forward to hearing from you.
Ed N Shon

billshr
07-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Hi,
We have a 06 HR endeavor, quad slide 40', with the cumins 400 hp engine. We love it but have had a lot of small problems. The windshield broke two times in the right corner and they replaced it under warrenty. The no fuss flush valve in the black water flush area was not attached right so it leaked, they fixed it at a rally. The seal on the rear driver slide was leaking and they fixed that, the seal around one of the other slides came off and they fixed it, the level system is automatic and it had to be recalibrated. The holding tanks have been replaced and now they show empty all of the time, I have wrinkles in the celing beside the front air conditoner, the rear camera don't work, and they are looking for a fix for that, the right front camera has been replaced, the sun blind beside the driver needs replacement because it don't work, the rt. rear slide needs a new relay because it won't completely close all of the time,the sunlight over the shower has the tape coming off on the roof, the door needs adjustment on the front because it whisles all of the time, the electric hot water switch had to be replaced, the drain in the kitchen sink was put on with a split and it leaked and had to be replaced, we have some paint issues, and a few more issues. The good thing is they are either fixed or going to be fixed at an appointment in Oct. this year. The bad thing is I have been to the factory once and had some things fixed at two different rallys. The cost of fuel is high to run to the factory all of the time. The coach is comfortable and real easy to drive. Other than the little thinks we love it. Also the cumins engine has now a recall and I have to take it about 250 miles away to get it worked on next month.
Bill

alaskandream
08-05-2007, 02:09 PM
wedfan- I don't want to take over this thread but, would like to talk further to Bill.

BILL- i would like to talk further about your Endeavor. Im researching class A pushers and so far, I like the Holiday brand. Why with a almost brand new coach, is there so many problems ? Do these problems carry over to the other models and, to the older years ?
With our budget, I'm looking at years from 1996-2001.

Thanks wedfan/bill

Kevin

tgreen
08-19-2007, 10:32 AM
We purchased a 2003 HR Vacationer about a month ago (our 3rd Class A). The only thing is that the living room slide can go out too far. We have to watch it while it is moving out and stop it at the right place otherwise it might open too far and not want to close (happened once already). Dealer says they contacted HR about putting a stop on the track. They say they were told that you can't put a stop on it and that the owner (me) has to watch the slide while it is moving and stop it when it seals. Not a big problem to do, but I am curious if anyone else has heard of this.

puddlepirate
08-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Wedfan.

We have an 07 HR Ambassador SKT, 40 foot diesel that we purchased in January.

Absolutely, the best built RV we have ever owned - and we have had a couple.

Floor plan has the kitchen up front with a mid wall TV - so you are not staring up over the drivers compartment to watch a movie.

We are very, very pleased with it.

okrver
08-20-2007, 06:25 AM
We have 2002 34ft Ambassador. It replaced our 1995 Brave. We love the DP. No more heat issues, and a lot quieter. We had some issues, but all been address, and have not impacted our travels.

billshr
09-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Hi everyone,
Since my last post above, I was going down interstate 70 in Mo. and my eclipse awning made by carefree got caught in the wind and just blew almost off. It was flapping like a bird in the wind. The wind just mangled it. It appears the motor on it must have failed and allowed it to come out while going down the road. Kevin if you want to talk to me e-mail me off line. I think the Hr is still a great rig but everyone has to get the problems ironed out before they are great.

debandi
09-04-2007, 05:43 AM
Webfan

We bought a 1999 HR Imperial about 18 months ago to replace our 1994 Newmar. We had looked at many motorhomes and none except the Imperial matched or exceeded the quality of the Newmar.

We have had a few problems with our Imperial but they have been taken care of by the dealer or while we were at the Monaco factory in Elkhart.

WE are fulltimers and have made many changes to the interior such as removing the 'J'Lounge, replacing the dining table with a computer station. We also replaced the TV's with flat screen digitals. This winter we plan to do some reupholstry on the couch. We would also like to put a euro-recliner onboard but have not found any at furniture stores yet.

atkron
09-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi, my wife and I are new to RVs as we just purchased a used 2002 HR Admiral on Aug. 31. We were getting ready for the Labor Day weekend and and I went to get some propane. To my suprise I found the angle iron mounting bracket where the propane cylinder bolts to the angle iron fractured in two places. There was a fracture in the angle iron in the rear passenger side and in the front on the driveline side. These fractures occur next to where the cylinder bolts to the angle iron in high stress areas. I called HR to report this potential safety issue and all they wanted to tell me was that the RV was no longer in warranty and showed little concern about this issue. All I needed was for one more failure to occur as we were going down the highway and we would have been dragging a propane cylinder on the pavement!! May I suggest that you inspect your propane cylinder mounting points prior to your next outing.

doxiowners
05-11-2008, 10:36 AM
we have a 2007 holidAY rambler. It has been at a dealership 2 and one half months waiting for a roller for the shower door and a rim for the one front tire. It has taken Monaco all this time to order and track the parts. the said over and over they will cover the parts as warranty, but do little to give the authorization and get the parts to the dealership. Also the coach bounces on the front airbags. we were told the coach needs shocks by an independent repair shop. monaco feels the air bags just need adjucting. does anyone else have this problem on a new coach. this is our first holiday rambler neptune. we had a santara, coachman for ten years with very little problems. should have kept it.

jgr1957
06-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Want to compare notes?

I just bought a mid-'80s Imperial to replace another MH that some idiot backed into so hard it looks U-shaped. Every time I've been interested in a new rig, I do the math and decide that I've got a lot better uses for the money. I go look, come away with ideas, and once in a while make some changes, but my earlier MH was a heck of a lot of motor home and I didn't spend a total of $20K on purchase and upgrades in all the time I've owned it (the family that I got it from went to a DP, and every time I see them, they want to come in and look -- they sent me a condolence card when they heard about the damage).

The "new" one cost about $4,000 w/55K miles, and will get about $6K in upgrades:
Tankless water heater
Washer/dryer
New bed
New Captain's chair (the old one goes to the passenger)
Glass panel (to replace the "steam gauge" dashboard) with GPS
HDTV and other electronics
New carpet
Motorcycle carrier

So, for about $10,000 I will have just about everything a new HR would give me, except the slide-outs, new paint, and the big price tags for purchase and fuel.

Oh, yeah, and the highway patrol and thieves will pass by my "antique" to get to the new "transit coach" DP.

:D

garynrosvi
07-30-2008, 09:07 AM
We are currently in our fifth Holiday Rambler Class A. This one is a 40' pusher. We started with a 1985 33' Imperial in 1986.

Too bad Monaco has just shut down the entire Wakarusa and Elkhart Holiday Rambler plants in Ind. The club (HRRVC) is deciding on what they will do. The Board of Directors are meeting this week an should come out with a decision very soon.

Gary

jimsarge
08-02-2008, 07:42 AM
We bought our 1998 Holiday Rambler, 37 WDS in 1998 new and had no trouble with it at all. I did remove the J lounge and installed a 6 inch wide oak shelf with compartments, from behind the passenger seat to the refrigerator. Allso put in a euro chair with foot stool. I did put in a laptop computer table that I can put up or down beside the chair, that plugs into the shelf. Works out very good.
This is our fourth HR unit and have enjoyed it so much. :) Jim

wesandjudi
08-03-2008, 02:39 AM
Hi Holiday Rambler owners,
I wonder if anyone has had as much trouble with their new Ambassador as we have had. We bought a 2007 Ambassador in July of 2007. It has been in for service or out of comission for 130 days out of the first year. We have had an air conditioner replaced, an inverter-charger replaced, the electrical panel replaced, the roof rechalked two times, one leak in the bathroom fixed, the seals around the slides replaced, an air leak behind the driver's seat worked on twice, a refridgerator tube worked on, and several other problems. Our main problem has been a leak above the entry door. Water is coming from somewhere and running out from the wall under the molding above the door. We are not talking about a drip. We are talking about a waterfall. That leak has been worked on five times. We are now in Lemon Law proceedings and Monaco has offered us $15,000 and wants to try to fix it again. The problem is that there is probably mildew growing in the wall by now. We sure don't want the coach anymore, but Monaco won't buy it back!! Anybody else having a problem like this?

pogeybait
08-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Just traded an 07 Dynasty for an 08 Navigator. We picked it up in February of this year. We have had several small problems which have been taken care of and several that still need work. I had an engine check light come on and had to take it to Cummings. I had less than 3000 miles when that happened. We are still in the process of finding all the bugs, but so far the dealer and Monaco has been great. It is just something that you have to go thru with a new MH.

tewing
08-08-2008, 08:57 PM
I am not sure what you are talking about when you talk about a "J Lounge"? Did you take out the booth dinner area? and did you do that yourself? What kind of compter desk did you put in it place?

pete12313
08-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Looking for recliner try Lambright's Comfort Chairs in Topeka In 260-768-4820
we just bought a recliner there made to fit in a motorhome & priced right.
Also all Holiday Ramblers full timers who don't belong to chapter 400 fulltime chapter are missing out big time

jimsarge
08-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I installed the 6 inch shelf just below the table from the passenger chair to the back wall. I used oak boards from Lowes and did all the work myself. Used 90 degree angles to mount it to the side wall and installed several vertical supports with room at the bottom to run wires, like the phone wire and a power strip for the computer. I used a good piece of plywood for the desk and put 2 pieces of small diameter pipe under the plywood and then it fit into a larger pipe inside the shelf. When my doors was closed, you could not see the pipes inside. Works very good. Jim O.

imnotlost2008
08-19-2008, 06:24 PM
I bought an '04 Holiday Rambler Vacationer in March with 11,000 miles. It has been in the shop for wiring problems, leaks and slide issues for the last 5 months. This is especially frustrating since I am a fulltimer. La Mesa RV thankfully gave me a 30 day warranty which covered most if not all of this and boy did I need it. I am close to the factory near Eugene, OR but they are of no or little help. I didnt think there were Lemon Laws for RV's but I did talk to some folks with a brand new one and with a couple of letters from an attorney they got the dealer to buy their coach back...Hope I dont need to go that far.:confused:

ken109706
08-20-2008, 01:58 AM
I have a 97 Navigator that we bought 4 years ago. It has been the most dependable motor home that anyone could ask for. M11 Cummins 450 hp that has been 100% trouble free. We are members of the Holiday Rambler National Club and two local clubs 434 and 208. I have a couple of things that I wish I could figure out like a little sensor on the drivers side dash (Anyone know what it does?)My alternator went out and my battery light came on. I had the alternator rebuilt and it works great but can't get the battery light to go out. Any ideas? I've tried everything including disconnecting the batteries. I also have a hitch on there that well, you just have to see it. Check it out and if you think that's big you should see the trailer. Later fellow RV'ers

jimsarge
08-20-2008, 11:13 AM
If you would join the Holiday Rambler Club and go to the Rallys, they do work on the motor homes at the rallys and fix any problems. Just go to the HR semitrailer and they will look at the problem and work on it for you. Even at the FMCA rallys they will repair the HR, just find them and they will check it out for you. Jim O.

wee64
08-27-2008, 02:21 PM
If you have a Holiday Rambler diesel pusher, join HRRVC and then you can join Chapter 419 the diesel pusher chapter. They have a great online site where members can share HR problems and what they did to correct the problem. Must be a member to participate. For more info: wee64@AOL.com

wee64
08-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Question was about slideout motors leaking oil. This is an example of how HR owners help each other.

Wayne, There is a gearbox/gear head on the motors that has grease inside to lubricate the gears. The housings are split down the center and have seals on the shafts. They contain, grease that has some “oil” like all greases and it leaks from the housing around the seals. I haven’t had the new one long enough to determine if it will leak, but saved the boot from the old one. You may want to look at your slide drives for oil. The drives that leaked on mine have the motor at 90 degrees to the shaft that runs along the side in the compartment. If you have style with the motor parallel to the shaft you may not have the same problem.

utmtman
08-27-2008, 05:59 PM
First off what are you slide issues? Does it go along with the leak? Im at harrisburg now getting that problem repaired. Unfortunately its not covered by warranty so got to pay the price or go on with a leak. Will have it repaired tomorrow.

drper2
12-28-2008, 06:23 AM
We bought 09 Nav @ Hershey Show. The following has happened since:
1. step lights and bars wouldn't light
2. molding on frig. fell off
3. bed slide out only worked while manually pushing it
4. starter motor broke and wired incorrectly @ factory, requiring $1,000 tow for repair & took 3 weeks!!!
5. flat tire on tag wheel passenger side (no spare till now)
6. broken drain @ galley sink with water damage to bedroom carpet
7. air leak in leveling system, causing auxillery pump to run every 3 minutes (no sleeping due to sound) still not repaired
8. delivered with broken antenas on roof
9. leaking toilet letting sewer water drain throughout flooring
10. cauking on bedroom window missing, so first rain caused water to run onto bedding
11. coach delivered without extra keys & fob!!!! and missing battery filler devise.
12. recall on Cummins engine (needs computer reprograming)
13. missiing cover on outside engine air duct (ordered, not recieved)
14 entry door jamed so won't lock
15 generator delivered needing 2 quarts of oil.
16. left mirror camera stopped working
17. roof leak at front a/c unit
18. macerator hosing developed hole and leaked poo to flooring
19. windshield popped out !!!!! during heavy rain storm
20. sliding door at bedroom/bath fell from mounting
21. glass door at closest cracked due to srews in mounting
22. ceiling light wiring broken needing rewiring
23. front door latch won't catch
24. satallite antenia shorted out, frying 2 recievers!!!!!
25. molding at driver window fell off

JUST AMAZING WHAT YOU GET FOR $500,000

looking for ending our "shake-down trips", so far not willing to chance a trip any distance from home.

utmtman
12-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Drper2, you should contact Monarch and get that rig into either indy or oregon for repairs. Sounds like some pain in the butt problems. We got our fixed in Oregon but its leaking again and I am going to try and take it back this summer for round 2.

trinket
10-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Hi Webfan, We have a 2006 Holiday Ambassador. We got it last year and have tried to go somewhere every month since. We finally went on a two week trip from Carlsbad, CA to Nashville, TN to Mission, TX and back. I didn't have any mechanical problems. The only thing that happened was the SaniCon unit got jammed and I had to take the cover off the unit and turn the blade manually until it started on again.

We found only a couple of issues. On some roads the coach sounds like it is going to shake to pieces, but on smoother roads there is hardly a rattle. The other issue is the shower. The bracket holding the shower hose broke. I'm thinking about replacing the hose with a pipe or tube on which I can put a fixed shower head. I don't know if anything like this is available or not.
Take care and we look forward to hearing from you.
Ed N Shon
Hey
I have the same problem and I'm working on it. Rides like a "truck" on and rough spots. Bottoms out. Have you found any resolution to the problem as yet?
I'm thinking maybe the air bags should hold more air. Maybe should be seperate from the brake etc system. Checkinng with Monaco (new co) monday and roadmaster to see what they may offer for sugesstions. The air bags look pretty small for so large a coach (36 ft Des pus) planing to try the Koni shocks.
Gota figure out something way to rough for me. Don't want to break something.
Look forward to hearing some good news!

texasted65
11-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy a gas filler door for a 2006 HR Admiral.

whodo
11-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy a gas filler door for a 2006 HR Admiral.
If you can't find a dealer that some how happens to have one, I would suggest trying some of the places listed in this link.
http://www.myrvparks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1656
also you might want to try "Mega Tech of Oregon" you will find them listed under post #10 at the above link.

holden
12-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Don't know where you live but Rooms to Go has a Chineese carbon copy of the one used in many motor homes, White leather with Ottoman. We have two of these and love them, about $350.00 each!!!!!!!!!!!

geothom
12-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Do you have a name or model number I couldn't locate these on their web site.
Thanks

holden
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Found it, page 8 of 16 under chairs Rooms to Go
Coachman Taupe Chair and Ottoman #18570184 $349.99

Worth a look. If you can't get dimensions from them let me know and I'll measure for you, worth a look. Great product at the price.

carladh
08-05-2011, 02:57 PM
we have a 2010 holiday rambler navigator,we've had it for one month, took it on our first road trip from south texas to colorado. it got so hot in the rear bath that you could not walk on the floor. the a/c could not keep up with the excessive heat coming from the engine, our group was finally huddled around the dash air just to try and stay comfortable. we called monoco and they told us it was because it was so hot in texas, we had an 02 navigator and we did not ever have any problems like this. has anyone else had this problem

rstp57
10-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Anybody have any opinion or owned the new Holiday Rambler Vacationer 32WBD.
Thank you

cvik
02-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Want to compare notes?

We bought a 1995 HR Navigator July 2011. Newbies as far as MH's. Over the years started camping in a tent then a pop up, another pop up, then a small 18' travel trailer. Got to be to much for us setting up, etc. Saw the Coach, it seemed to be calling me. The more I looked at her, the more I thought I can handle it. I have to admit I was a bit naive. Wished I had done some researching about MH's & DP's to find out what I was getting into. Do have a couple of friends that have MH's, but they live out of state & we had never discussed what is all envolved in owning one. Never even riden in one until the saleman took us for a demo ride. Was really impressed with the ride & how quite the coach was with the engine in the back. So I was sold & had to have it. I don't regret buying it, it's just that I didn't take into account how expensive everything is about a MH. Tires (6) @ $800 each. Engine & Genset oil, transmission & radiator fluids & filters cost $1600. The cruise control quit that was $1200 to get fixed. We like our new to us coach, enjoy all the comforts it offers. We just hope it's not going to turn into a money pit.

whodo
02-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Welcome to forum.
Motor Homes are like any thing else, there's always an expense for something, it doesn't matter if it is new or used there will always be something that needs attention.
Feel free to ask questions, before you spend the money on something that may or may not be a major problem, most things that go wrong, are normal routine maintance type items (belts, hoses, filters etc) then there are the little anoying things that rattle because a screw or bolt has vibrated lose.

Being you have already experienced camping with pop-ups and travel trailers, you are already aware of most of these problem areas, and more than likely know the guy down at the local RV supply on a first name baisis LOL, seems you spend just about as much time doing something to the RV as you do enjoying it.

morganbaby
08-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Need help - cannot get new tv to work off antenna. The Wingard Entertainment Select is what controls everthing but cannot get new tv to work on antenna. HELP:mad:

lorytransfig
03-12-2014, 11:50 AM
I recently bought a 1998 Class A HR Vacationer 34 CG & really like it. Unfortunately, we didn't get the owner's manual & now we would really need it because our hot water line busted the other night & we can't find the shut-off valve for it.

I anyone out there a the owner's manual, we would appreciate a copy of it because the company doesn't have it and said this would be the only way to get one.

It would be greatly appreciated. Please! Please! Please!

capndavenc
10-24-2014, 02:06 AM
I am looking at a decent deal on a '99 Endeavor 37. I am a little concerned that it only has a 275 hp Cummins for power.

Is this adequate power for this size coach? I plan to tow a Buick Park Avenue, or 17ft boat with it.

Also, are there any other issues I should be aware of? Any help or advise will be very much appreciated!

Dave

jndwilli
10-24-2014, 08:30 AM
I have a 39' Bounder with a 275 Cummins. I tow a Ford Ranger. The only time I have a problem is going up a long steep incline in the mountains. I have a 6 speed Allison transmission. On those grades I manually down shift to keep the RPMs up. You will go slower but you won't have problems with over heating.

capndavenc
10-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Is yours turbo charged?

jndwilli
10-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Yes it is.