PDA

View Full Version : Mattress Suggestions for 5th Wheel

erbblank
10-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Does anyone have good suggestions or preferences for brands of mattresses? I have a 5th wheel and the mattress that came with it is terrible. I like a softer mattress and don't even know where to start since there are so many out there.

whodo
10-24-2007, 10:23 AM
I have always recommended for people to go to a mattress company and get a custom made mattress. They don't cost any more than a good quality off the shelf mattress. By going to a mattress manufacture, you get the degree of support that you personally desire, and even more importantly they can make them to suit two different people's degree of support 50/50, one side can be rock hard and right next to it the other marshmallow soft.

dadburnett
10-24-2007, 11:29 PM
I agree with whodo ... I'm in Portland OR and have had custom foam/latex mattress' made at a local company - they have a variety of densities and can cut to fit. Because my wife and I have not been able to degree on a mattress we changed several times before buying a Sleep Number bed. Now we are both comfortable.
We have a Keystone Couger, 29' without a bedroom slide. Our configuration is such that we were able to extend the length of the bed to accomodate a full size queen mattress. I understand that Sleep Number also has short-queens for RVs.

dianek706
10-25-2007, 03:33 PM
My husband and I bought a Sleep Number Mattress last year and we wouldn't have anything else. They are quaranteed for 10 years - I think - and we just had a problem with our remote, which they replaced the entire pump for nothing. We know several RV'ers that have bought these mattresses and so far, no one has a complaint.

dadburnett
10-28-2007, 05:00 PM
My husband and I bought a Sleep Number Mattress last year and we wouldn't have anything else. They are quaranteed for 10 years - I think - and we just had a problem with our remote, which they replaced the entire pump for nothing. We know several RV'ers that have bought these mattresses and so far, no one has a complaint.

We've been happy with our Sleep Number. A couple of considerations (?), we are in a fifth wheel and have to get into bed from the foot of the bed. The Sleep Number mattress is a little bit like a waterbed in that when crawling up over it, it is not firm like a regular mattress. Once you lay down, its great. The other has to do with altitude in the western USA ... as you drive up to higher altitudes the pressure in the mattress increases - going over the Rockies, it really gets hard ... I'm not sure how good that is for the mattress so if I'm going travel up to a significantly higher altitude, I bleed off a little pressure and reset it that night. A few years ago we travelled in a van from Oregon with an inflated air mattress set up in it - when we got into Wyoming I could not see through the rear view mirror - the mattress was a big inflated baloon, the inner air chambers failed. Can that happen to a Sleep Number mattress? I don't know, so I play it safe.

kroving
10-29-2007, 06:45 AM
YES YES YES!!!! The Sleep Number is the greatest. It is a little pricy $ but very much worth it. Also, it is very much lighter than a regular mattres. We all need to loose a little weight .... from our RV's that is. PLEASE consider this!!!!!!
Dave
kroving

mariahofmaine
11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
We bought the exact same brand queen size mattress that we use in our home and extended the base of the bed in the 5th wheel to accomodate it. We stored the brand new mattress (felt more like a box spring to me) that came with our last 5th wheel and when we traded for a new one last month we took out our favorite and put back in the unused one that we stored. Now our "travel mattress" is in our new rig and the poor excuse for a mattress is stored till we trade again. The other thing we do is take out the couch/sleep sofa (which are pretty but not at all comfortable) and replace it with a double reclining leather love seat.
Mariah

papahog
11-04-2007, 07:58 PM
I replaced the mattress in my travel trailer with a high quality mattress from a mattress store in Portland Oregon and had one of the 100 day satisfaction guarantee. I did not like it. Called them and replaced it with a more expensive mattress and boy what a mistake that was. Way to hard and I like a hard mattress.

Called again and replaced it with a less expensive yet high quality firm mattress like I had at home and it is the best mattress I ever slept on. Never have morning back ache.

I would rather sleep in the trailer than in the house and that is good because I have been on the road all but 4 days since March when I bought my rig and trailer.

So find someplace with a satisfaction guarantee when you are going to be stationary for a few weeks and take them up on it.

themob
11-06-2007, 11:00 AM
If you want to go a little cheaper than a sleep number bed, we actually got a two-inch memory foam mattress and a one-inch thick mattress cover,which we put on top of the mattress the TT came with, and we sleep very comfortably in the bed...probably more comfortably than at home! It cost us about $250 (on sale) but it was quite worth the money.

ibtallwalt
11-24-2007, 01:15 PM
We have an Alfa and we have a King size bed. Fortuanetly we can walk around our bed.
It came with a junk mattress as do most units. We tried the memory foam, it just didn't do it for us, and it was a bit heavy (our bed lifts up for additional storage) and we couldn't or wouldn't spend the money for a custom mattress.
We finally, opted to purchase two single air mattresses at WalMart, and then had a furniturr upholstery shop cut us a 15' square foam piece the width of the bed for the head area. This with the two air mattresses equals the same dimensions as a king bed.
This way we can adjust the bed settings to suit us both and its pretty cheap, about $50
We do use a mattress cover with a blanket under it to mask the seperation and so far (three years +) we haven't regretted it a minute.....Ok... so there was a couple of flats over the years, but at $15 each, they're an easy fix.

Thats our story...;)

taylor
12-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Where do you buy a sleep number mattress??

papahog
04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Camping world has them and any mall with a Sleep Number bed store.

sjt43
11-05-2008, 01:53 PM
We have a 94 tioga with twin beds. The mattreses are as bad in them as any. We tried several thiongs but nothing worked until we brought the memory 2inch queen size and split it in half to fit the twins we had in the C . It worked out great.

silinds
01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Save yourself some money and go to Costco or Sam's Club and buy a space age type mattress pad. We bought one 8yrs ago for our 5th wheel and now it's in our motorhome and it works great. It's about 2 or 3" thick, just like a Tempurpedic mattress and it's great. The good part is that is costs less than $200.

murffdog
01-05-2009, 04:30 AM
I have no problem with mine but 2 or 3" thick, I assume you put these on top of the mattress.