myRVparks.com - A place for a family of friends. SignIn & SignUp
Bookmark Site | Help
All Here All Free
Home Campground Guide Members Free Classifieds RV Forums Campfire Chat Check Email Sign Up/Log In

Go Back   RV Forums - myRVparks.com > www.myRVplace.com > Repair and Maintenance Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2007
Regular

Default Battery Drain

We own a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer and enjoy it very much. One problem, the engine battery will not keep a charge. I purchased a new battery about 3 months after we purchased the motorhome thinking the battery was bad because it wouldn't start. Everything appeared to be OK on our last couple of trips. Then when we got back from our last trip the motorhome was not used for about a month. It wouldn't start. I jumped started the engine, ran it for about 20 minutes and it started OK. Now a week later it won't start. Any ideas as to what might be draining the baterry. The coach is on house power and everything is turned off. I checked the battery for water, connections, etc., everything seems OK.Thanks.
Old 03-13-2007
Adventurer

tgolden, I had the same problem my fix was a battery minder on the battery camping world #31590 problem solved. With all the new electronics in these MH's there is always a battery drain. Hope this helps you and good luck.

Earl
Old 03-13-2007
Regular

Earl is dead on the money.
The Chassis Battery drain go so bad on the Diesels that they actually installed a disconnect switch in the rear engine compartment, which has helped those with newer units.

My last Gas unit would drain down until I realized that the antenna booster switch ran off the engine rather than house battery. Wierd but when I turned it off problem solved.
Old 03-17-2007
Explorer

Default Battery Drain

When ever I store my DP for any length of time, I always turn the battery kill switch off....
Old 03-17-2007
Explorer

I had the same problem and discovered that couple basement lites were on and engine compartment lite was also on killing the battery
Old 03-25-2007
Explorer

Default Battery Drain

Make sure your ground wires are alright. A bad ground can quickly kill a battery too.
Old 03-25-2007
Adventurer

You should not forget that there are carbon monixide sencers and electrical sensors. That are always running unless you have some kind of battery cutoff switch installed. So if you are storing your camper for a long period of time you must disconnect the battery or it will be dead when you return.
Old 03-28-2007
Regular

Thanks for your replys. The info is very helpful. Happy Travels!!!
Old 03-29-2007
Explorer

Send a message via MSN to billshr
Wink Battery Drain

I have a 06 HR endeavor and my starting battery went dead after we sat this last winter in Az. A friend there also had this problem. We purchased a xantrex digital echo-charger. It will keep the chasis batteries charged from the coach batteries. It is all automatic and works great. Just hook up three wires and your done. You can purchase on line. I bought it through e-bay cheeper than the xantrex site. Cost a little over $100.00 but the good thing if you are parked and don't want to start up the engine every week and let it charge and have your air bags aired up and then have to re-level it is worth it.

Bill
Old 04-04-2007
Explorer

Default Battery Drain

I experienced the same chassis battery drain on my 05 Itasca Horizon, due to the many seemingly small electronic devices that remain active even when engine is off and key removed. I could avoid it only by disconnecting the chassis batteries via the rear switch, but would then have to reprogram the engine TEC readouts, etc. every time. Found out Winnebago sells a retrofit charger/isolator that trickle charges the chassis batteries off the coach batteries. And it protects the chassis batteries by cutting out once voltage reachs around 13.1 volts. Costs only $45 or so, simple to install, and has solved my problem. Just don't understand why they didn't put it in during production!

**** R.