myRVparks.com - A place for a family of friends. SignIn & SignUp
Bookmark Site | Help
All Here All Free
Home Campground Guide Members Free Classifieds RV Forums Campfire Chat Check Email Sign Up/Log In

Go Back   RV Forums - myRVparks.com > www.myRVplace.com > Repair and Maintenance Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2007
Explorer

Default 2000 Fleetwood Discovery Radiator Problem

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my RV was running a little bit hot and then the temperature gauge went to maximum for about 5 seconds and then came back down again. This is a diesal pusher which means that the engine is in the back. I noticed that the radiator fins were plugged with dirt..etc. What is the proper way of cleaning them without doing any damage.

I appreciate any responses that I receive.

Thank you,
Alan
Old 07-01-2007
Addicted to RVing

Alan
Diesel pusher radiators need to be cleaned on a regular basis to prevent the exact thing you are experiencing now. 99% of the time the problem is caused by a mixture of oil an dirt. I always recommend to people to clean there radiator twice a year right along with other routine maintenance.
Now there are many different methods that are safe to clean your radiator.
If you have a access to a "low pressure steam cleaner", it is the best an most effective method. Next you can use engine degreaser/cleaner and a garden hose and clean it with water and engine degreaser/cleaner, it's messy and time consuming but effective. Remember to be careful not to damage the radiator fins or core while cleaning it, results can be very expensive if you do.
If you really don't want to do this your self you can take your rig to a big rig radiator shop and they will clean it for a price.
Once you have the radiator clean, keep it clean by washing it out with a water hose an a light spray of engine degreaser/cleaner as needed at least twice a year.
Old 07-01-2007
Explorer

Hi Whodo,

Thank you for your response. I just have one more question. If I use a low pressure washer on the radiator, which side should it I use it on? The fan side or the opposite side?

Thanks again,
Allen
Old 07-01-2007
Addicted to RVing

You will more than likely have to clean it from both sides if it is clogged very badly. Start from the side with the lightest build up and go from there.
Old 12-09-2007
Regular

Smile Jmccor1938

I had the same problem coming down the New York Thruway. Found that the Charged air cooler was plugged. This is behind the radiator. Sprayed both the radiator and charged air cooler with a good grade commercial degreasser and then washed it with a good spray from a hose. Haven't had any problems since. This is caused by the radiator and charged air cooler being exhausted to the raer and all the dirt and grime comes up from the road and clogs the fins
Old 12-10-2007
Expert Camper

see C7 caterpillar overheating issues by losgarjr just above this post