Bookmark Site | Help
All Here All Free
Home Campground Guide Check Email

Go Back   RV Forums - myRVparks.com > RV Forums > Tent Campers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008
Regular

Default Used Tent Trailer Questions

We recently purchased a 1987 Jaco Jay Dove 8 tent trailer and are having some problems with figuring things out. The seller didn't have the manual and the dealer could only provide a "generic" manual that doesn't have all the information we need. This model has a refrigerator that doesn't ever seem to get cool. We bought a brand new battery for it to run the lights and fridge and when we run it off the battery it seems to work sometimes and others not. Is this common? I've had others tell me electrical in tent trailers is notoriously finicky. It runs fine when we plug it in and run off power. Also, would anyone know if there is a gray water tank on this model? We can see two hoses, one obviously the freshwater tank, but can't see where any gray water tank would be.

The manual we do have says you should re-pack the wheel bearings every season. Is that normal? Is that something a non-mechanical minded person can do themselves, or best left to a mechanic?

Thanks for any responses. We're new to tent trailers and are still learning.
Old 08-20-2008
Addicted to RVing

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtraveler View Post
This model has a refrigerator that doesn't ever seem to get cool.
What Brand/Model frig? Are you trying it on Gas or Elec? Need a little more info to work with.

Quote:
We bought a brand new battery for it to run the lights and fridge and when we run it off the battery it seems to work sometimes and others not. Is this common? I've had others tell me electrical in tent trailers is notoriously finicky. It runs fine when we plug it in and run off power.
Not sure what works sometimes and others not. The lights or the fridge or both? Please explain a little more.

Quote:
Also, would anyone know if there is a gray water tank on this model? We can see two hoses, one obviously the freshwater tank, but can't see where any gray water tank would be.
I am not familiar with this particular model so can say for sure, but if you don't see a tank then more than likely it doesn't have one. You can get more info at http://www.popupportal.com/manuals.asp just scroll through and find your unit.

Quote:
The manual we do have says you should re-pack the wheel bearings every season. Is that normal? Is that something a non-mechanical minded person can do themselves, or best left to a mechanic?
Yes the wheel bearings should be re-packed annually, although some people do it more or less often.
Re-packing wheel bearings on a trailer is not a difficult job, a little greasy but not difficult, if you can re-pack wheel bearings on a car you can do your trailer.