myRVparks.com - A place for a family of friends. SignIn & SignUp
Bookmark Site | Help
All Here All Free
Home Campground Guide Members Free Classifieds RV Forums Campfire Chat Check Email Sign Up/Log In

Go Back   RV Forums - myRVparks.com > RV Forums > Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2007
Regular

Default 5th wheel use of furance while towing

I am planning a trip south this winter. Is it possible to have the furnace on while towing so that the contents can stay above freezing?
Old 11-07-2007
Explorer

Default electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssfcc View Post
I am planning a trip south this winter. Is it possible to have the furnace on while towing so that the contents can stay above freezing?
My furnace needs 110 volts to operate, my 50 amp cord is on 15 foot long. Which won't get me far down the road. Unless your furnace is different, try an alternate heat appliance.
Bill McCartney
Old 11-10-2007
Regular

Default Furnace

Our fivers furnace works on the 12 volt trailers battery, so yes you could run the furnace while traveling, but I have never done that. If your furnace does not work on a 12 volt system, then DRY CAMPING or boon docking would not work for you, as you would always need an outside power source to camp. Now if your have an A/C unit with HEAT STRIPS or coils, it requires this outside power to operate, but that is another issue.
Old 04-22-2008
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssfcc View Post
It depends on the furnace. Every trailer we've had has had a 12v fan and the furnaces have run just fine. Keep the thermostat set as low as it'll go, of course. You'd hate to run out of propane and find yourself sleeping COLD in some Walmart parking lot! We've traveled from SD to IL in mid-October, and FL to IL in mid-December just fine.

Here's a view of Cabela's from our 5th wheel in their parking lot, in October 2003...