myRVparks.com - A place for a family of friends. SignIn & SignUp
Bookmark Site | Help
All Here All Free
Home Campground Guide Members Free Classifieds RV Forums Campfire Chat Check Email Sign Up/Log In

Go Back   RV Forums - myRVparks.com > www.myRVplace.com > Repair and Maintenance Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008
Regular

Default Need help with toilet odor

We have flushed out our toilet really well, but still have odor. The motor home has been closed since last October. We also put chems in the water when last used and again this Spring after cleanup but still have a terrible odor. Please advise on how to get rid of the odor.
Old 05-29-2008
Addicted to RVing

Are you sure the smell is coming from the toilet/black tank and not the sink/grey water tank?
Grey water tank can smell worse than the black if, water isn't in the P-trap of the drain lines of the sinks.

Hope fully some one else will have a better idea/suggestion.
Old 05-29-2008
Full Timer

about all you can do is open everything up and let it air out, then determine what is causing it. i agree with whodo, the grey may well be your problem. i usually fill both tanks up and add lots of chemicals and let it sit for a day or two then go n dump em. please remember to flush out your fresh water system as well with bleach added to your tank and run thru the system n let sit overnight, then drain and flush till ya don't taste the bleach.
steve sandidge
37' holiday rambler imperial
Old 05-29-2008
Regular Camper

Use bleach in you black/gray water tanks. Also, check your holding tank vents on the roof to make sure they are clear and open (no debris). A well vented holding tank shouldn't require any chemicals to keep it from smelling.

Another method is to use calgon water softner in your holding tanks along with laundry detergent to keep them clean and not smelling. Again some bleach shortly before flushing will help.

Make sure you always keep your black holding tank valve closed until it is full and use lots of water. If you don't you can get lots of solid build-up in your tank. Lots of water in your black holding tank is your best bet to keep it operating and flushing optimally.
Old 06-01-2008
Expert Camper

every once in a while when traveling I will dump my tanks and add half a bottle of pine sol in each tank. I then add a few gallons of water. I drive that day and allow it to slosh around. When I stop That night I dump and rise my tank, add the chemicals and am all set. It keeps the tanks pretty clean.
Old 06-01-2008
Full Timer

Sounds like no water in the p-traps or a dead mouse in the house.
Old 06-01-2008
Full Timer

lol i actually had that happen to me many years ago. was in a 63 airstream and had mice so i put out poison...which they ate....and then they cuddled up to the ol' converter back under the rear bathroom n died...whew!
37' holiday rambler imperial
Old 06-01-2008
Adventurer

We have had problems with all of what has been said and agree with everyone. One thing to add, we use baking soda to get ride of the odor. (A doctor told us that is what hospitals use).
Another thing to check is do you have a celling vent open near the holding tank vent.
We had a mouse die in our motorhome, I tried everything to locate the critter with no luck. I sprinkled baking soda all through the motor home, left windows and vent open and the odor finally went away.
Is your toilet holding water?
Old 06-05-2008
Regular

Default Bad odor

Are you sure odor is from toilet? I recently had bad odor and eventually found that it was comming from a bad battery. Second sugguestionis to remove the sewer hose from the RV and see if odor goes away.I had problem caused by the hose storage area vented into the heated compartment and the odor would travel through the heat ducts into the coach. I cuered the problem by installing a hose storage tube under vehicle. Hope this helps good luck!
Old 06-05-2008
Full Timer

OK one more possibility here. Do you have a cover around the bottom of your toilet. If there is remove that cover and clean the floor around your toilet.