myRVparks.com - A place for a family of friends. SignIn & SignUp
Bookmark Site | Help
All Here All Free
Home Campground Guide Members Free Classifieds RV Forums Campfire Chat Check Email Sign Up/Log In

Go Back   RV Forums - myRVparks.com > www.myRVplace.com > Repair and Maintenance Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2008
Regular

Default dometic ref.--freezer door hard to open

i have a problem w/my freezer door.when at op.temp.[cold] door is very hard to open.ref.and freezer seem to be at proper temp.ref.door works fine.we defrost as needed.freezer door works fine when not in op.and is warm.dometic said to put baby powder om gasket no help.then was told to vaseline gasket-no help-then cleaned real good w/hot water no help. any ideas?local camper service center could not find problemas well as mfg.
Old 06-04-2008
Full Timer

hi bill,
usually its the other way around, its too loose and the gasket is not sealing. when you say hard to open, are you like having to put your foot against somthing to be able to open it? there are 2 screws on the hinge that go into the top and bottom of the door, ya may be able to loosen em a tad and be able to adjust the door a bit. also make sure the humidity switch is on as well. be sure to tightrn them back!
steve
37' holiday rambler imperial
Old 06-04-2008
Explorer

Thumbs up freezzzzzer

think of hot and cold when some thing is cooled down it will contract , and heated it will expand .now think of your freezer as a glass jar with a content . now heat it and put a lid on it or close the door . as it cools it will actually creat a vacuum that is why preserves stay so long in glass jars . now if u understand this adjust the door hindge . so u can pull a piece of paper out of the door ,between the frame and gasket w the door closed there should be a good effort to pull paper out.try this on all sides of the door before it is adjusted and don't lube the gasket with any chemicals as it may cause premiture deterioration of the rubber. only a mild soap solution and rinse clean .this should solve your problem good luck
Old 06-05-2008
Full Timer

Mine will do the same thing immediately after I open it and close it. As 2camper suggests, I have the vacuum "thing" so I don't worry about it. (it's fine after about 30 seconds)