myRVparks.com - A place for a family of friends. SignIn & SignUp
Bookmark Site | Help
All Here All Free
Home Campground Guide Members Free Classifieds RV Forums Campfire Chat Check Email Sign Up/Log In

Go Back   RV Forums - myRVparks.com > www.myRVplace.com > Repair and Maintenance Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2008
Regular

Default Leaky Toilet Water Supply Hose

The water supply line for the toilet in my (approximately) 1974 Mallard camper leaks right at the fitting that attaches to the toilet tank. It's close quarters and I'm pretty big, so I haven't been able to get a good look at it. It feels like a wing nut or "butterfly" type connection.

I don't want to mess with this without a little advice first. Do you know whether it's likely that the fitting just needs tightening? Or do I need to replace it? Where are these fittings available?

The camper is currently in a campsite some distance away, so I can't easily get info on the make and model of the toilet. I bought the camper used and I think the toilet is original equipment.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 07-15-2008
Full Timer

Jeff, I might suggest you contact a camping world store and talk to a service rep. about you problem and see what they suggest.

Good Luck
Old 07-15-2008
Full Timer

i suggest a new toilet is in order. unless you can do it all yourself there will be some time involved in repairing your old one, and they will likely have to pull it to work on it anyway, just replace, takes maybe a half hour.
steve
37' holiday rambler imperial
Old 07-15-2008
Adventurer

replace a toilet because the water supply line is leaking?? replace a car because the tire is leaking? come on, check it out itīs not rocket science itīs a toilet.
Old 07-15-2008
Full Timer

tepetapan,,
its a freakin 1974! toilet. get a new one, for under 200 bucks and at my shop only 55 bucks n hour you have a BRAND SPAKIN NEW TOILET! now if i remove the toilet, find out what and where it is leakin, replace the part, put it back together and reinstall it ya have 2 hrs labor plus the valve n vacuum breaker, the donut seal etc and you are over what a new one costs, labor included. unless this customer is adamant about keeping it stock and is willing to pay to keep a 1974 toilet, just replace the dang thing!
steve
37' holiday rambler imperial
Old 07-16-2008
Addicted to RVing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk627 View Post
The water supply line for the toilet in my (approximately) 1974 Mallard camper leaks right at the fitting that attaches to the toilet tank. It's close quarters and I'm pretty big, so I haven't been able to get a good look at it. It feels like a wing nut or "butterfly" type connection.

I don't want to mess with this without a little advice first. Do you know whether it's likely that the fitting just needs tightening? Or do I need to replace it? Where are these fittings available?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Ok I'm going to toss my 10 cents in here (used to be 02 cents but with inflation now its 10 cents).

You have a 74 Mallard and if memory serves me correctly the type of toilet they used is no longer manufactured. (Like RV's a lot of manufactures are not in business or are not making a given model/style any more).
Just for what it is worth Mallard Coach Co. the manufacture of your RV went out of business in 1992. Poor management put them out of business, there quality for the dollar was very good. You have a unit that is worth investing a few dollars into, it will last if maintained.

Now concerning your toilet, you are going to have to pull it. Once you have it out so that you can get to the back and the water line you will find you have one of two styles of connector. 1) They used a standard house type water line with a donut type compression seal. Or, 2) They used a line into a line type fitting, the water line actually slipped into the nipple on the toilet and had a o-ring type seal on the nut itself.
Now if it has the standard house type line and fitting, any hardware store will have the parts to repair it. If it has #2 GOOD LUCK. If that is the case you may or may not find a suitable replacement connection and will probably will find that a replacement toilet will be a better choice.

Once you are able to find the Make/Model every one will be able to offer better advice.

{ Personally I vote for keeping it as original as possible. There are many people out there like myself that really enjoy the older units from the 70's and back. We personally happen to own a very original 54 Spartan TT that we take to shows. We also have a 69 Aristocrat 8' cab over camper & a 71 Aristocrat Land Commander TT both of which are in show quality as well. }
Old 07-16-2008
Full Timer

Yea its heck when we have all these rich people who replace a rv when a lite burns out or a car when the tire goes flat. LOL Try to tighten your fitting first before you do anything. If that is not an option than look into doing as whodo has said, last option is to replace the freaking toilet as steve suggested.
Old 07-16-2008
Addicted to RVing

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmtman View Post
Yea its heck when we have all these rich people who replace a car when the tire goes flat. LOL
Now wait a minute I resemble that statement. I had a Ford Thunderbird that I hated so bad that when it got a flat tire (actually two in one day) I traded it off ,that was the biggest lemon that I ever owned.
Old 07-19-2008
Full Timer

Cant blame ya there Whodo. I had a wife like that once. Traded her off as well.
Old 09-01-2008
Explorer

sounds like the valve is bad if it leaks only when you flush it . it is the flush valve cost abot 25 bucks if you do the works yourself if you have a shop about 200 hundred bucks new toilet about 150 so figure it out you can always plug everything off and use the campground bathrooms and make a room for storage
my 2cents