myRVparks.com - A place for a family of friends. SignIn & SignUp
Bookmark Site | Help
All Here All Free
Home Campground Guide Members Free Classifieds RV Forums Campfire Chat Check Email Sign Up/Log In

Go Back   RV Forums - myRVparks.com > www.myRVplace.com > Repair and Maintenance Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2008
Regular

Default Battery disconnect solenoid not getting any power

I've been working through an issue with my disconnect for some time now. Today while bypassing it while troubleshooting, I shorted something and sparks flew. Now there is no voltage on either side of the solenoid. So I'm assuming I blew a fuse somewhere between the batteries and the solenoid. There are bunch of fuses in the battery compartment where the chassis batteries are (disconnect solenoid is on the opposite side of the coach). I check ed all those and they were fine. There are no fuses that I can see in the compartmen where the disconnect is. I suppose there COULD be something in-line between the two but that wouldn't make much sense.

Am I right in assuming the battery cable would run directly from the chassis battery to the disconnect solenoid? It would seem that it would have to.

The coach is a 2002 Coachmen Cross Country DP. Freightliner chassis.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 09-08-2008
Full Timer

Exclamation No voltage

rknight:

It may be a fuseable link instead of a fuse or breaker. A fuseable link is sometimes hard to find because it will look like a regular wire. I would start checking with a multi-meter or test light to find where the power is being interrupted.

1stSgt. (Retired)
USMC 2440079
Old 09-09-2008
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stsgt View Post
rknight:

It may be a fuseable link instead of a fuse or breaker. A fuseable link is sometimes hard to find because it will look like a regular wire. I would start checking with a multi-meter or test light to find where the power is being interrupted.
You nailed it. It was a 175A mega fuse tucked in the back of the compartment just before the battery cables exit it. With a bunch of other wires in front of it.

So that is progress. Now I need to figure out what's wrong with my solenoids and/or battery disconnect switch. The two disconnect solenoids operate off one 3 pole switch in the coach. Left side toggles coach on/off, right side toggles chassis on/off. The switch was connected to a small relay which has wires that presumably go to the solenoids. My guess is the relay but I pulled the both solenoids and the relay so I can bench test them and figure out what is going on. So right now, both sets of batteries are manually disconnected. Interestingly, the coach still starts. So apparently the ignition bypasses the disconnect.
Old 09-09-2008
Full Timer

a quick resistance check will tell ya a lot...if it aint workin the coil is probley open on one of the above mentioned items
steve
37' holiday rambler imperial
Old 09-09-2008
Regular

Ok. Got it on the bench and one of the two disconnect solenoids is bad.

The solenoids are these:
http://www.intellitec.com/pdfs/BATTERY_web/bd.htm

Per the intellitec docs, one polarity opens it, the other closes it. So presumably, the small relay up front by the switch reverses polarity each time the switch is pushed. What I'm having trouble figuring out is how the relay, switch, and two solenoid leads are connected.

This is the relay up front:

http://www.azettler.com/pdfs/az973.pdf

It is part # AZ973-1C-12DC3

If there is anybody out there who is better at reading schematics than I am ... I'd appreciate some guidance.