myRVparks.com - A place for a family of friends. SignIn & SignUp
Bookmark Site | Help
All Here All Free
Home Campground Guide Members Free Classifieds RV Forums Campfire Chat Check Email Sign Up/Log In

Go Back   RV Forums - myRVparks.com > www.myRVplace.com > Campground Forums
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2007
Explorer

Cool are there any states that require a CDL to operate an rv?

I've only been rving a short while and I was recently asked this question. My wife says I know it all but I must admit it aint true.
Old 04-08-2007
Regular

Send a message via AIM to capnred

The only requirement I'm aware of is the Airbrake endorsement for an RV which has air brakes. Not sure about a weight limit on a regular drivers license. I've had a commercial license or CDL for over 50 yrs.
Lilly (yellow lab)
Old 04-08-2007
Addicted to RVing

Every state has different laws. Depending upon your state of residence will determine what class of license you have to have. Alot of states have what is called a "non-commerical class A license", for towing a combo in excess of 26,001 lbs. (Texas & Calif are a couple of states that have the req.) (Calif also requires this for towing doubles, "boat behind 5th wheel")
It would be best to go to Your State's web page or call them and verify the requirements for your state.
Old 04-08-2007
Explorer

CDL is The designation for Commercial Drivers License. The are getting to be some states that are requiring Special licenses for RVs. As long as you met the legal requirements of your home state you won't have any problem.
Old 04-29-2007
Explorer

Washington state does NOT require a CDL to drive any size RV.
Old 06-11-2007
Regular

New York requires an "R" endorsement on a class D license for driving an RV weighing greater than 26,000 lbs. It consists of a 30 day permit followed by a 15 minute roadtest. Details are difficult to find on the DMV website, and my local DMV office noted that they rarery get a request for this amendment.
Old 07-09-2007
Explorer

I can't imagine the RV Industry letting states require a special drivers license for driving or towing an RV. Just think of the lost revenue to the RV Industry in lost sales when someone couldn't pass the test. However I agree that some training should be taken prior to driving a big motor home or towing a trailer.
Old 07-12-2007
Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to wedfan Send a message via AIM to wedfan Send a message via Yahoo to wedfan
Smile CDL Requirements for RV's

http://www.dmv.org/

Check out this link it should provide you with the info you are seeking for all 50 states.
FMCA
Old 09-17-2010
Regular

I am from BC & they require an endorsement #51 for towing any RV over 4600KG (10,120 LB) or an air endorsement for any air equipped RV. Nothing specific for motorhomes.
My understanding is you require the licence that is required in your jurisdiction regardless of what state or province you are travelling in.
Bob
Old 09-28-2010
Full Timer

don't need one in Mi.but you do need an endorsement to haul doubles. I believe you need to go to secretary of state office andtake a test to get one.