myRVparks.com - A place for a family of friends. SignIn & SignUp
Bookmark Site | Help
All Here All Free
Home Campground Guide Members Free Classifieds RV Forums Campfire Chat Check Email Sign Up/Log In

Go Back   RV Forums - myRVparks.com > www.myRVplace.com > Repair and Maintenance Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2007
Explorer

Cool RV toliet problems

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had a problem with their toliet not holding water in it. Apparently the seal (or gasket) may be bad. Sure would like some suggestions.

Mary
Old 10-23-2007
Addicted to RVing

Yes it is common for the seal to fail "BUT" most of the time you will find that the seal is not the real problem, toilet paper etc gets stuck in the slide track and prevents the seal from doing its job.
Take a coat hanger and straighten it out then place a 90 degree bend on one end so that it can be used as a cleaning tool. Carefully clean out the slide seal track. If this doesn't cure your problem then you will need to replace the seal its self. Now you didn't mention what brand of toilet you have, but being the majority in use in RV's are made by Thetford here is a link to there web site where you can get complete instructions on how to change the seal. http://www.norcold.com/
Old 10-24-2007
Adventurer

On our Sealand toilet, we just push a toilet brush down the hole while holding the flush valve down, rotate the brush around to clean things up, pull the brush out, and that normally fixes the leakage until the next time.
KE5LXU, Escapees, FMCA, SMART, WIT
www.pjrider.com
Old 10-25-2007
Regular

It could also be that the seal has dried out. If ckeaning does not solve the problem. You can, sometimes, restore a dry seal by applying vasoline to the seal. If I am not going to use my MH, for a while, I will dump the water out of the bowl and pour a little baby oil in and let it sit there until I use it again.
Old 10-25-2007
Addicted to RVing

Warning: be carefull of applying oil's to the seal, many of them will destroy the seal over time. When I was still in the RV business we would change at least one seal a week from people using mineral type oils on the seal.
I do not recommend any type of oil, just leave lots of water standing in the bowl if the unit is going to be left setting for a period of time.